Position Title: Building Inspector
Company Name: City of Tacoma,
Position Location: City of Tacoma, Tacoma WA., 747 Market Street, Tacoma, WA. 98402 U.S.
Company Website: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/tacoma.
Position Description: We are seeking candidates with exceptional customer service skills who have a proven success record in the performance of field inspections related to development, including: single family, multi-family, commercial buildings and other structures, to ensure compliance with Tacoma Municipal Code, State building code and other applicable codes and regulations.
Other Inspector duties include: investigating and resolving code compliance complaints related to buildings and structures; explaining and interpreting building code restrictions and requirements; examining pre-permit plans; assisting customers in the field with the use of the City's permit tracking system; documenting and adding field inspections, and preparing reports related to inspection activities.
Position Requirements: QUALIFICATIONS: Graduation from high school or equivalent and one of the following:
- One year of experience as a Building Inspector using the International Code Council (ICC) building codes
- Certification by the ICC as a Building Inspector or Plan Reviewer
- Three years of journey-level experience in the building construction trades or in building code or code enforcement for a municipality
- Preference will be given to those candidates who have multiple ICC certifications.
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions:
- Position requires passing a physical assessment, pre-employment medical exam, and drug and alcohol screening.
- Position requires climbing and crawling.
- Work includes indoor and outdoor environment; subject to traveling from site to site and adverse weather conditions.
- Incumbents may be exposed to potentially hazardous material and heights and subject to moving around in and through construction sites at various stages of completion.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- Accepted safety standards related to building construction.
- Methods, equipment and materials used in building construction, alteration and repair.
- Federal, State and local building, zoning, housing, plumbing codes and related ordinances and regulations.
- Technical aspects of field of specialty.
- Health and safety regulations.
- Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy.
- Oral and written communications skills.
- Record-keeping techniques.
- Detect substandard maintenance, repair construction materials or methods, unsanitary or fire-hazard conditions.
- Read and interpret plans and drawings.
- Read interpret and explain codes, rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Analyze situations accurately and adopt an effective course of action.
- Maintain records and prepare reports.
- Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
- Effectively utilize appropriate technology (i.e. computers, cameras, two-way radios).
- Work independently with little direction.
Salary Range: 32.48-39.48 Hourly
How to Apply: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/tacoma.
Contact Name: Audrey Hornbuckle
Contact Phone: (253) 591-5427