Position Title: Building Inspector
Company Name: City of Tacoma
Position Location: 747 Maket Street, Tacoma, WA 98402 United States
Company Website: http://www.cityoftacoma.org/jobs
Position Description: Do you enjoy a high level of customer interaction both in person and on the phone? Are you the kind of person that other people describe as friendly, collaborative, and professional? Do you enjoy working in an outdoor environment and have work experience with Municipal, State and other building codes? If so, the position of Building Inspector with the City of Tacoma could be the job you have been hoping for.
We are seeking experienced candidates with exceptional customer service skills and who have a proven success record in the performance of field inspections related to development, including: single family, multi-family, commercial buildings and other structures, to ensure compliance with Tacoma Municipal Code, State building code and other applicable codes and regulations.
Other Inspector duties include: investigating and resolving code compliance complaints related to buildings and structures; explaining and interpreting building code restrictions and requirements; examining pre-permit plans; assisting customers in the field with the use of the City's permit tracking system; documenting and adding field inspections, and preparing reports related to inspection activities.
The Principles that Guide Us:
Tacoma, the City of Destiny, has a workforce of dedicated, talented employees with unique skills and perspectives. We embrace innovation and strive for excellence and community engagement. The Principles that Guide Us, Integrity, Service, Excellence and Equity, speak to the values that we embody as City of Tacoma employees, and represent the core of our work in public service.
- Inspect buildings and sites during construction, alteration, movement, demolition or repair, as well as existing structures, to assure compliance with building code requirements, City mechanical and plumbing codes and related regulations. Prepare and maintain all associated records and reports.
- Examine pre-permit plans to determine compliance with applicable codes for residential structures; perform field reviews of plans and specifications.
- Coordinate communication and activities with other City departments and personnel, various governmental and private agencies, contractors, engineers, building owners and public; interpret and explain regulations and codes to owners, tenants, contractors and others.
- Investigate and resolve complaints from the public; provide code enforcement functions; explain and interpret requirements and restrictions.
- Operate a variety of equipment and machinery such as computers, two-way radios, cameras, calculators and copiers; operate a motor vehicle as necessary to conduct work.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions:
- Position requires climbing and crawling.
- Work includes indoor and outdoor environment; subject to traveling from site to site and adverse weather conditions.
- Incumbents may be exposed to potentially hazardous material and heights and subject to moving around in and through construction sites at various stages of completion.
City of Tacoma Recruitment Information:
One of the primary goals of the City of Tacoma Equity and Empowerment Initiative is that the City of Tacoma workforce reflects the community it serves. We actively work to eliminate racial and other disparities and we welcome candidates with diverse and/or multicultural skill sets and personal experiences. Our goal is for Tacoma to be an inclusive and equitable place to live, work, and play.
- Graduation from high school or equivalent and one of the following:
- One year of experience as a Building Inspector using the International Code Council (ICC) building codes
- Certification by the ICC as a Building Inspector or Plan Reviewer
- Three years of journey-level experience in the building construction trades or in building code or code enforcement for a municipality
- Preference will be given to those candidates who have multiple ICC certifications.
Salary Range: $31.84 - $38.71 Hourly
How to Apply: Applications accepted online only at www.cityoftacoma.org/jobs
Contact Name: Indira Santiago
Contact Phone: (253) 591-5400